Best Pizza in Cape Town – Top Restaurants
It’s pizza time! Trying to decide on where you can find the best pizza in Cape Town is like choosing between cake or ice cream (in our case it’s both). Whether you like your pizza thin and crispy, thick with tons of toppings, or traditional Neapolitan-style, the Mother City’s pizza scene has something of everything. While every local certainly has their favourite pizza spot, we’ve put together a list of the Top Pizza Restaurants in Cape Town, in no specific order.
Named the ‘Best Pizzeria in Africa’ in 2019 by 50 Top Pizza – one of the most reliable pizza guides in Italy and the world – Massimo’s in Hout Bay is undoubtedly one of the top pizza restaurants in Cape Town. Real authentic Italian-style pizza served in a warm, welcoming atmosphere, Massimo’s is the real deal when it comes to pizza! Massimo and his wife Tracy are well-known throughout the local community and their pizza has long been regarded as some of the best in Cape Town – and now the world knows it too!
They only use the freshest ingredients sourced from small local farms and stalls, so you sure are in for a treat. Along with their authentic Italian-style pizzas, they have some amazing Vegetarian and gluten-free pizzas too!
- Location: Oakhurst Farm Park, Main Rd, 7806 Hout Bay, Cape Town
- Contact details:021 790 5648 (Best to phone for bookings) | [email protected] | massimos.co.za
- Operating hours: Monday – Friday from 5pm (but pop in early if you want to buy a frozen pizza) | Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays: Open from 12:00 until late.
#La Matta Pizzeria | Long Street
Located in a historic building on Long Street in the heart of the inner-city, La Matta is a vibey pizzeria, café and bar. This sought-after contemporary Italian pizzeria has fast become one of the best pizza spots in Cape Town, and after one bite of a La Matta pizza, you’ll know exactly why.
La Matta Pizzeria, Café & Bar specializes in down-right delicious contemporary Italian pizzas, specially made with their bespoke 3 cheese mix and signature pizza sauce. Yes, this top Cape Town pizzeria has a secret saucy recipe, and they’re sharing it with pizza lovers far and wide.
In addition to their amazing array of pizzas, La Matta is also the proud home of the Muffuletta – An Italian-American sandwich filled with meat, cheese and pickles which everyone should try at least once in their lives.
La Matta’s warm, welcoming and vibrant atmosphere and beautiful private courtyard, makes it the perfect venue for a lovely laid-back lunch or dinner, events, private functions and celebrations.
- Location: La Matta Pizzeria, Café & Bar, 215 Long Street, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 023 2159 | [email protected]
- Operating hours: Monday, 9am – 9pm | Tuesday – Saturday, 12pm – 9pm | Sunday, 4pm – 9pm
With branches all over the southern suburbs, Bin Rashied combines Italian classics with some of the greatest recipes from around the world. And for our Muslim readers, you’ll be happy to know that all their meals and kitchens are strictly Halaal.
- Website: www.binrashied.co.za
Shop No 1, Corner of Rosmead & Wetton Roads
TEL: 021 762 7180
Shop No 1, Corner of Addison & Lansdowne Roads
TEL: 021 704 3408
|Diep River Branch
Shop 125 Main Road, Diep River
TEL: 021 712 3391
|Grassy Park Branch
Shop 6 Prince Park, 49 Prince George Drive
TEL: 021 705 0115
#Nonna Lina pizzeria
Nonna Lina pizzeria is another top pizza restaurants in Cape Town that was named one of the ‘7 Best Pizzas in Cape Town’ by Big 7 Travel. Boasting two amazing locations around the city, Nonna Lina pizzeria is a super simple, back-to-basics pizzeria where the pizza truly is the star of the show. It is the perfect pizza spot to enjoy a relaxed and laid-back afternoon or evening with friends and family, all while enjoying some of the best pizza in the city.
- Location: Nona Lina Gardens: 64 Orange Street, Gardens, Cape Town | Nona Lina V&A Waterfront: V&A Food Market, V&A Waterfront, Dock Road, Cape Town
- Contact details: [email protected] | 021 42 44 966 | nonnalina.co.za
- Operating hours: Monday – Thursday, 5pm – 10pm | Friday – Saturday, 5pm – 10:15pm | Sunday, 12pm – 10pm
Ferdinando’s is named after owners Diego and Kiki’s dog Ferdinando. Vegans and vegetarians won’t go hungry as they have a large range of vegan and vegetarian pizzas on the menu as well as gluten free bases.
- Location: 205 Lower Main Road, Observatory, Cape Town
- Contact details: 084 771 0485 | www.ferdinandospizza.com
The heart of Earthfire Pizza, is their unique wood fired ceramic pizza ovens. The best part is that they sell their ovens and pizza accessories so you can make your own woodfired pizza at home. With four locations based in and around Cape Town, you won’t have to travel far to try out their pizza.
- Website: www.earthfirepizza.co.za
- Contact details: 021 785 3560
|Root 44 Market – Stellenbosch
Audacia Wines, Corner of R44 & Annandale Road, Stellenbosch
|The Range Market – Tokai
Orpen Road, Tokai
|Mojo Market – Sea Point
30 Regent Rd, Sea Point
|Cape Point Vineyards – Noordhoek
Silvermine Rd, Noordhoek
#NY Slice Pizza
If you’re a pizza lover that prefers a New York-style pizza over a more traditional Italian version, there is no better place to grab a slice of pizza in Cape Town than NY Slice. NY Slice is authentic New York-style pizza at its very best, some may even go as far as to say that it is nearly as good as if you were eating it in the Big Apple itself. At NY Slice the dough is made fresh daily, hand tossed for a crust that is authentic thin and airy. All their pizzas are crafted in the same oven and dough mixer shipped in from New York City – so you know you’re in for the real deal! NY Slice boasts 4 incredible locations in and around Cape Town – giving everyone the opportunity to enjoy a slice of authentic New York pizza right here in the Mother City.
- Kloof Street Shop: 49 Kloof St, Gardens, Cape Town | 021 426 4141
- Sea Point Shop: 100 Main Rd, Sea Point, Cape Town | 021 434 3920
- Stellenbosch Shop: 31 Bird St, Stellenbosch Central | 021 426 4141
- Claremont Shop: 53 Main Rd, Claremontt, Cape Town | 021 671 1136
- Website: nyslicepizza.com
- Contact details: [email protected] | 021 426 4141
How do you know you’re getting great pizza? Well hosts Matteo and Maurizio are Italian born and raised. They strive to incorporate authentic Italian cuisine combined with the delicious existing local flavours.
- Location: 2 Deerpark Drive, Vredehoek, Cape Town
- Contact details: 063 710 4742 | www.thewoodlandseatery.com
Situated on trendy Kloof Street and in Harfield Village, Da Vincis is the perfect spot to unwind and enjoy delicious food in a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Website: www.davincis.co.za
70 Kloof Street, Gardens
TEL: 021 424 7504
|Harfield Village Branch
37 2nd Avenue, Harfield Village
TEL: 021 683 5453
If traditional Neapolitan-style pizzas is the way to your pizza-loving heart, then BOCCA in the heart of the inner-city is the perfect Cape Town pizza spot for you. Puffy charred crusts, a variety of delicious toppings and an indulgent selection of pizzas, all made in an Acunto oven especially imported from Italy to produce a slice of pure Neapolitan pizza heaven is just some of what you can expect when visiting BOCCA. With an extensive wine list and a small but diverse menu designed to share, grab a few friends and head on down.
- Location: Cnr Bree & Wale St, Cape Town CBD
- Contact details: 021 422 0188 | www.bocca.co.za
With two cool locations in Gardens and Observatory, Narona is an inner-city pizza gem. They are known to serve some of the very best vegetarian pizzas in Cape Town, however, if you’re a meat-lover at heart they’ve got tons of delicious pizza options for you too. Narona is a local fan-favourite pizza spot that is definitely worth checking out.
- Location: Observatory: 39 trill road, Observatory, Cape Town | Gardens: 136 buitenkant street, Gardens, Cape Town
- Contact details: Observatory: 021447 2206 | Gardens: 079 388 4767 / 021 465 8111 |
- Website: narona.co.za
- Operating hours: Observatory: Weekdays, 5pm – 10pm ; Weekends, 12pm – 10pm | Gardens: Weekdays, 5pm – 10pm ; Weekends, 12pm – 10pm
A mixture of world class service, a true love for the artistry of pizza making as well as a friendly, warm and welcoming atmosphere, Borruso’s is not only a great place to spend time with friends and family, but enjoy some of the best pizza in the Mother City too. It is one of ‘The 7 Best Pizzas in Cape Town’ according to Big 7 Travel after all. While it may not be the fanciest pizza joint in the city, being on many a top pizza list speaks for itself. With starters like Fig Focaccia, Pizza bread with blue cheese and fig preserve and all your favourite traditional pizzas and a few delicious pizza surprises tossed in there, how can you go wrong?
- Location: Corner of Mains Ave and Main Rd, Kenilworth
- Contact details: 021 761 5822 | www.borrusos.pizza
The story of Bacini’s rich heritage began back in 1989 when the first branch opened up in Rosebank, Johannesburg. Since then, they have only gone from strength to strength and opened their very first branch in Cape Town in 1994. From that moment, Bacini’s has been a mainstay in the Cape Town pizza scene ever since with locals and travellers eager to try their sensational selection of pizzas. Owner, Raimondo Napoli, has been tossing pizzas since day one and it truly is an unbelievable family experience with Raimondo’s wife, sister and daughter also working at the restaurant. This is one top Cape Town pizza restaurants that is definitely worth the visit.
- Location: 177 Kloof St, Gardens, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 423 6668 | [email protected] | www.bacinisonkloof.co.za
Rounding out our top 10 pizza restaurants in Cape Town in Northern Suburbs staple, Pizza Vesuvio. Made with dough imported directly from Italy, you can be assured that you are eating Pizza as good as you could get anywhere in the world. Why not head out this weekend and try it out?
- Location: Waterfront Road, Bellville Park, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 914 1414 | www.pizza-vesuvio.business.site
Pizza and Rock ‘n Roll is what SGT Pepper does best, making SGT Pepper one of Cape Town’s best pizza restaurants with a super cool rock ‘n roll twist! From the very beginning this inner-city pizza hotspot has been committed to one thing, making their pizza the star of the show, and that’s exactly what they did! SGT Pepper puts an edgy spin on traditional classics by giving each pizza a rock ‘n roll personality of its own. Don’t be surprised if you come across some unique names as you make your way through The Rockstars, The Groupies and The Roadie’s pizza selections. One thing is for certain, they all promise to be every bit as delicious as they are original.