There is nothing worse than being hit by a load shedding blackout just as you’re about to cook up a storm or make a delicious dinner. But thankfully, the thriving Mother City culinary scene has you covered with some of the best restaurants that are open during load shedding.
To make sure you’re fully prepared, here is a list of some of the top restaurants to go for dinner in load shedding in Cape Town.
Voted the best pizza in South Africa as well as one of ‘The 7 Best Pizzas in Cape Town’ by Big 7 Travel Burrata Restaurant is undoubtedly one of the best restaurants to go to for dinner during load shedding in Cape Town. Especially if you’re a head-over-heels pizza lover! This modern Italian restaurant only uses the freshest, top-quality ingredients to make their wide range of down-right delicious, authentic Italian style pizzas. Plus, the fact that all their pizzas are made in a pizza oven that was hand built by a third-generation family-owned business in Naples, means you’re in for one sensational pizza treat!
- Location: 375 Albert Road, Woodstock, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 447 6505 |[email protected] | burrata.co.za
Located in Mouille Point, Bobo’s Brasserie boasts one of the best views of Mouille Point Beach you’ll find anywhere in the city. It’s beautiful backdrop, sea-side location, and lovely laid-back atmosphere makes it one of the top restaurants in Cape Town to enjoy a delicious meal and a few drinks anytime of the day or night, whether there’s load shedding or not. Bobo’s Brasserie is also known for its exceptional and extensive wine and drinks list, as well as it’s jam-packed menu, catering to every taste bud.
- Location: Mouille Point, Two Oceans Beach, Beach Rd, Mouille Point, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 439 9027 | [email protected] | www.bobos.co.za
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 12pm – 11pm
La Parada is one of the most sought-after culinary hotspots in Cape Town. The Catalan-style tapas joint has branches at the V&A Waterfront, Constantia Nek, Century City and Bree Street. Each La Parada location offers diners an incredible tapas selection to share, a variety of small plate menu options, an exceptional wine list, and a wide assortment of cocktails, craft beers and spirits to choose from. Combined with its vibrant, everyone-is-welcome atmosphere, La Parada is one of the best restaurants in Cape Town to dine at during load shedding.
- La Parada Bree Street: 107 Bree Street, Cape Town City Centre
- La Parada V&A Waterfront: 1 Dock Road, V&A Waterfront
- La Parada Constantia Nek: Main Road, Hout Bay, Cape Town
- La Parada Century City: Century City, Cape Town
- Bree Street: 021 426 0330 | [email protected]
- V&A Waterfront: 021 418 3003 | [email protected]
- Constantia Nek: 021 795 0620 | [email protected]
- Century City: 021 286 9046 | [email protected]
- Website: www.laparada.co.za
- La Parada Bree Street: Wednesday – Saturday: 11am-10pm
- La Parada V&A Waterfront: Monday – Sunday: 11am – 10pm
- La Parada Constantia Nek: Monday – Friday 11am – 10pm | Saturday – Sunday: 9am – 10pm
- La Parada Century City: Monday – Sunday: 11am – 10pm
#Hudsons The Burger Joint
With several branches all over the city, Hudsons is widely known as Cape Town’s go-to, perennial burger joint. Offering an impressive and down-right delicious selection of classic and speciality gourmet burgers, shakes and all the other good stuff you’d expect to find at a classic American diner, Hudsons has something for EVERYONE to enjoy.
- Green Point: Corner of Main & Upper Portswood Road, Green Point, Cape Town
- Claremont: 25 Protea Road, Claremont, Cape Town
- Stellenbosch: 77 Dorp Street, Stellenbosch, Cape Town
- Gardens: 69A Kloof Street, Gardens, Cape Town
- Muizenberg: 70 Beach Road, Muizenberg, Cape Town
- Green Point: 021 433 1496
- Claremont: 021 674 5152
- Stellenbosch: 021 887 2052
- Gardens: 021 426 5974
- Muizenberg: 021 812 2787
- Website: www.theburgerjoint.co.za
Located in the ever-beautiful Camps Bay, Bilboa is a sought-after and stylish beachfront restaurant boasting the most magnificent ocean view. As for the food menu, Bilboa offers several Mediterranean-inspired dishes with plenty of incredible seafood options. Making it a must-visit for any and all seafood lovers! The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner and offers diners an extensive drinks menu to complement their indulgent meal. If you’re looking to experience an extra special treat, make sure you get there by sunset – There are few things as remarkable as watching the sun set over the Atlantic ocean and Camps Bay beachfront with the spectacular Twelve Apostles mountain range behind you.
- Location: Shop 120, First Floor, The Promenade, Victoria Bay, Camps Bay, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 286 5155 | [email protected] | www.bilboa.co.za
- Opening hours: Monday – Sunday: 12hoo – 23h00
#The Test Kitchen
The renowned Test Kitchen is not only one of the most sought-after culinary experiences in the Mother City and one of the top restaurants to go to in Cape Town during load shedding but has received remarkable global recognition too. The Test Kitchen was named one of the 50 Best Restaurants in the world as rated by the World Restaurant Awards, it also ranked 22nd in The World’s Best Restaurant Awards in 2016 as well as claimed the number 44 spot in 2019 (to name merely a few of its culinary accomplishments). There is no denying that the famous Test Kitchen has taken both the local and global culinary world by storm.
Spearheaded by the world-renowned Chef Luke Dale Roberts, The Test Kitchen offers diners a one-of-a-kind fine dining experience. Some would even go as far as to call it an unforgettable and delectable culinary adventure. The Test Kitchen is known for its bold, experimental, exciting, and contemporary dishes that will have you at a loss for words (in the very best way) and savoring every single bite.
- Location: The Old Biscuit Mill, 375 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town
- Opening hours: Open Tuesday to Saturday 6pm – 9pm
- Contact details: 021 447 2337 | [email protected]
Located right in the heart of the famous Camps Bay sunset strip, Café Caprice is one of the hottest beach bars, trendiest cafés/restaurants, and sought-after sunset cocktail spots in the Mother City. With a reputation like that, how can it not be one of the best places to go to for brunch, lunch, or dinner during load shedding in Cape Town. Besides their prime Camps Bay location, vibrant energy, beautiful beachfront view, and cool laid-back vibe, Café Caprice boasts a spectacular selection of artisan cocktails, craft beers and wine, as well as an incredible café-style menu. All that’s left to do is sit back, relax, enjoy the full Café Caprice experience, and soak up every glorious second of the sensational view in front of you.
- Location: 37 Victoria Road, Camps Bay, Cape Town
- Contact: 021 438 8315 | [email protected]
Another one of the Mother City’s top pizza restaurants that is open during load shedding in Cape Town is Borruso’s. Rated as one of the ‘The 7 Best Pizzas in Cape Town’ according to Big 7 Travel, Borruso’s may not be the fanciest pizza joint in town, but their true love for the artistry of pizza making shines through in every single sensational pizza they create. Paired with world class service, a friendly, warm, and welcoming atmosphere, and a wide selection of down-right delicious pizzas to choose from, how can you possibly go wrong?
- Location: Corner of Mains Avenue and Main Road, Kenilworth, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 761 5822 | www.borrusos.pizza
- Operating hours: Open daily, 5pm – 10pm
Surfshack is a chic and contemporary seaside diner located right on Camps Bay’s trendy beachfront. Perched on the most perfect prime location, this sought-after ocean-front diner adds a little extra flavor to the Camps Bay golden mile. If you’re a lover of diner classics, with a unique Surfshack twist, a vibey buzz and lively laid-back vibe, and rustic yet stylish décor, look no further – Surfshack is right where you need to be! Paired with beautiful panoramic ocean vistas complete with stunning Camps Bay sunsets, what more do you need? What’s more, an expansive terrace at the foot of the eatery, gives those on the hunt for a trendy sundowner, signature cocktail, celebratory champagne, or glass of vino a new and exciting option.
- Location: 201 The Promenade, Victoria Road, Camps Bay, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 437 1802 | [email protected] | www.surfshackdiner.co.za
- Opening hours: Monday – Sunday, 12:00 – 23:00
#The Pot Luck Club
The Cape Town tapas scene has exploded in recent years, with top tapas-style restaurants like the Pot Luck Club having a lot to do with it. Besides being one of the most sought-after culinary hotspots in the city, the famous Pot Luck Club has been dubbed one of the coolest places to be in Cape Town. This trendy inner-city Tapas Bar & Restaurant boasts a relaxed yet edgy environment and is known to attract quite the local and global foodie crowd with their vast tapas selection and inventive, innovative, and bold approach to flavors.
At the Pot Luck Club, sharing is caring with their menu consisting of a vibrant and flavor-filled collection of tapas sized plates. These ‘Sharing Plates’ are essentially divided into 5 basic tastes: Salty, Sour, Sweet, Umami and Bitter. This gives diners the opportunity to try each taste sensation on its own as well as all the flavours together as a whole – Offering food lovers an exciting and one-of-a-kind culinary experience. This undoubtedly makes the popular Pot Luck Club one of the best restaurants to go to in Cape Town during load shedding.
- Location: Silo Top Floor, The Old Biscuit Mill, 373 – 375 Albert Road, Woodstock, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 447 0804 | [email protected] | www.thepotluckclub.co.za/home/
- Opening hours: Open for lunch & dinner Monday – Saturday| Sunday Brunch
Another pizza gem that made our list of the top restaurants to go to in Cape Town during load shedding is Da Vinci’s. What can we say, the Cape Town pizza scene is thriving, and who are we to deprive the people of all the sensational pizza the Mother City has to offer? While they may offer diners a slightly limited menu during load shedding, depending on the circumstances, you better believe that you will still be enjoying and savoring every single bite of their famous and authentic thin-based Italian-style wood-fired pizzas. If you’re not much of a pizza lover, don’t fear, they’ve got something for you too. Choose between a selection of delicious burgers, huge hearty salads, spareribs, wings and even a few amazing seafood options, including fish & calamari.
- Location: 70 Kloof Street, Gardens, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 424 7504 | [email protected] | www.davincis.co.za
- Opening hours: Monday – Sunday, 11:30am – 8pm (Kitchen closes at 7:45pm)
#96 Winery Road Restaurant
Why not escape to the stunning Cape Winelands when the dreaded load shedding hits? 96 Winery Road is a sensational country-style restaurant located in the heart of the glorious Helderberg countryside in the beautiful Stellenbosch Winelands. At 96 Winery Road diners can expect a real and authentic culinary experience. Nothing fancy or extravagant, just simple and unpretentious cooking, big, bold, and wholesome flavors, and truly delicious food made with the freshest local ingredients, all cooked with the utmost care, passion, love, and generosity. The menu at 96 Winery Road typically consists of a selection of fresh seasonal meals inspired by South African-influenced international cuisine.
- Location: 96 Winery Road Restaurant, Winery Road, Zandberg Farm, Stellenbosch, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 842 2020 | 078 924 1713 (WhatsApp) |win[email protected] | www.96wineryroad.co.za
- Opening times: Deli: Daily from 9am |Breakfast: Served until 11am (last orders in at 10:30am) | Lunch: Daily from 12h00 to 15h00 | Dinner: Monday to Saturday, 18h00 to 21h00
#Salsify At The Roundhouse
Salsify At The Roundhouse has established itself as a major contender in the exceptional and exciting Cape Town culinary scene. Salsify at the Roundhouse is the spectacular creation of two of Cape Town’s fine dining gurus, Luke Dale-Roberts, and Ryan Cole. Luke Dale-Roberts, founder, and owner of The Test Kitchen, The Pot Luck Club and The Shortmarket Club, and his head chef Ryan Cole, added Salsify At The Roundhouse as their latest edition to their list of impressive and iconic Cape Town eateries.
Much like its culinary counterparts, Salsify at the Roundhouse is all about pushing the culinary boundaries, but in the very best way! Diners can expect a unique la carte menu of delicate, yet intense, seasonal flavors and techniques when dining at Salsify. But it’s important to remember that Salsify at The Roundhouse is a Luke Dale Roberts creation after all. So, you better believe that this will be no ordinary dining experience, but one filled with plenty of flavor-filled creations, and tons of thrilling culinary surprises you’ll never see coming – Making the dining experience at Salsify all the more exhilarating.
- Location: The Roundhouse, Roundhouse Road, Camps Bay Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 010 6444 |[email protected] | www.salsify.co.za
- Opening hours: Lunch: Tuesday – Saturday 12:30 – 14:00 (Last lunch booking at 14:00) | Dinner Tuesday – Saturday: 18:00 – 20:00 (Last dinner booking at 20:00) | Sunday Lunch: 12:30 – 15:00 (Sunday lunch only)
Located in the trendy inner-city suburb of Gardens, Aubergine is one of Cape Town’s most iconic fine-dining experiences. So, if you’re eager for a fabulous fine-dining experience in the heart of the Mother City, load shedding will not get in the way of your lunch or dinner plans at Aubergine. Diners can expect a sensational selection of both Eastern and Western flavor inspired dishes made from only the freshest local ingredients. The dinner menu is a la carte, serving an indulgent variety of culinary delights.
To ensure they cater to every taste bud, culinary craving and dietary preference, Aubergine’s menu offers a wide range of vegetarian alternatives for both lunch and dinner. Decorated to perfection, each meal is practically art on a plate. Paired with an exceptional glass of wine from their excellent wine list, it makes for the perfect inner-city dinner experience.
- Location: 39 Barnet Street, Gardens, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 465 0000 | [email protected] | www.aubergine.co.za
- Opening hours: Open for lunch Thursdays and Fridays: 12pm – 2pm (Feel free to contact them for private lunches for 10+ guests on other days) | Open for dinner Tuesday – Saturday: 6pm – 10pm
- Click here to make a booking directly through Aubergine’s online booking system.
#Jerry’s Burger Bar
It’s burger time! Good news for all our fellow burger-lovers out there, the wildly popular Jerry’s Burger Bar not only has us (and our stomachs and hunger cravings) covered every day of the week, but during the dreaded load shedding too. Jerry’s is first and foremost a burger joint. When it comes to its jam-packed and flavor-filled menu, vibe, and atmosphere, don’t expect your typical all ‘American diner’ vibe, but rather a more sophisticated, New York styled venue. At Jerry’s Burger Bar its all about enjoying great food and drinks, with great people, in a great atmosphere. Jerry’s has 5 amazing locations, including Blouberg, Sea Point, Observatory, Willowbridge, and Heritage.
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Sea Point: 150 Main Road, Sea Point, Cape Town
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Blouberg: 1st Floor, Portico Building, 1 Athens Road, Bloubergstrand, Cape Town
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Heritage: Heritage Square, 98 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Observatory: 123 Lower Main Road, Observatory, Cape Town
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Willowbridge: SHOP G82, Willowbridge Centre, 39 Carl Cronje Drive, Tyger Valley, Cape Town
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Sea Point: 021 433 1700 | [email protected]
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Blouberg: 021 556 0852 | [email protected]
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Heritage: 021 569 1355 | [email protected]
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Observatory: 021 447 8554 | [email protected]
- Jerry’s Burger Bar Willowbridge: 021 914 3883 | [email protected]
Tiger’s Milk is ‘dude food’ made real good! Tiger’s Milk epitomizes handcrafted goodness with an incredible menu that takes pizza, grills, and burgers to the next level. But that’s not all you’ll find on Tiger’s Milks’ jam-packed and down-right delicious menu. Trust us, this cool Cape Town eatery has something for EVERYONE to enjoy. Pair it with one of their famous locally made Tiger’s Milk Lagers (this comes highly recommended), signature cocktails, wonderful vinos, or wide variety of cold drinks, beers, ciders, spirits, or draughts on-tap and you’re sure to leave incredibly satisfied. They are also known for their amazing specials, so be sure to keep an eye out for those!
Tiger’s Milk boasts several locations scattered around the city of Cape Town, including Muizenberg, Long Street, Century City, Claremont, Kloof Street, Camps Bay, Durbanville, Blouberg, and Stellenbosch.
- Tiger’s Milk Muizenberg: Corner Beach & Sidmouth Road, Surfers Corner, Muizenberg, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Claremont: Ground Floor Sunclare Building 21 Dreyer Street, Claremont, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Long Street: 44 Long Street, City Centre, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Kloof Street: 55 Kloof Street Gardens, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Camps Bay: 35 Victoria Road, Camps Bay, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Village Square, Durbanville: Village Square, C/ Oxford & Queen Street, Durbanville, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Blouberg: Shop 1A, c/o Blaauwberg Rd & Porterfield Road, Bloubergstrand, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Century City: Ground Floor Apex Building, 8 Kinetic Road, Century City, Cape Town
- Tiger’s Milk Stellenbosch: 98 Dorp Street, Stellenbosch
- Tiger’s Milk Muizenberg: 021 788 1860 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Claremont: 021 671 1296 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Long Street: 021 422 3556 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Kloof Street: 021 286 2209 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Camps Bay: 021 286 2106 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Village Square, Durbanville: 021 286 6853 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Blouberg: 021 286 9305 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Century City: 021 286 2191 | [email protected]
- Tiger’s Milk Stellenbosch: 021 569 3707 | [email protected]
Owner-chef Hatsushiro Muraoka, known in sushi circles as Papa San, is the culinary mastermind behind the highly sought-after Obi Restaurant. Following in the footsteps of his past restaurant successes, Takumi, Minato and Toyko. Obi has made quite an impact on the Mother City’s ever-expanding culinary scene. Undoubtedly making it one of the top restaurants to go for dinner in load shedding in Cape Town. Named for the broad sash of a Japanese kimono, Obi specialises in sushi, tempura, and ramen dishes, but you will also find an indulgent variety of other speciality dishes. As the venue only seats a limited number of patrons, booking is highly advised to avoid disappointment.
- Location: 14 Long Street, Cape Town
- Contact details: 021 418 4040 | 072 410 9989 | [email protected]
- Website: www.obirestaurant.co.za
- Operating hours: Obi Restaurant is open for sit-down, collections, and delivery | Tuesday – Saturday, 12pm – 2pm for lunch & from 6pm for dinner
#Casareccio Cucina Italiana
Perfectly set on the main road just before the renowned Chapmans Peak in Hout Bay, Casareccio Cucina Italiana is one of the top Italian style Restaurants in Cape Town with a hint of Portuguese influence and flair. At Casareccio,they are incredibly passionate about serving great food in a warm, welcoming, and relaxed environment, keeping customers coming back again and again. Open daily, diners can expect a sensational selection of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. Casareccio Cucina Italiana’s variety of down-right delicious Italian-style pizzas and pastas, and all your favorite Portuguese meals are undoubtedly the real crowd-pleasers among locals and tourists alike. They also have a range of indulgent speciality dishes to choose from.
- Location: Bay Beach Centre, 4 Main Road, Hout Bay, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Monday – Saturday: 7:30am- 9:30pm | Sundays & Public Holidays: 7:30am – 9pm
- Contact details: 021 790 0200 | [email protected]
- Website: www.casarecciohoutbay.co.za
The Toad, which has two branches – Toad In The Village (located in Noordhoek) and Toad On The Road (located in Lakeside) – is another one of the best restaurants to go for lunch or dinner in load shedding in Cape Town. At The Toad, it’s all about great food, cold beer, excellent service, and good times shared with friends and family in a comfortable and relaxing environment. While their specialities include ribs, springbok pie, pizzas, burgers and steaks, this casual dining Cape Town restaurant boasts a menu that is jam-packed with just about everything your food-loving heart desires.
- Location: Toad In The Village: Noordhoek Farm Village, Noordhoek Main Road, Noordhoek, Cape Town | Toad On The Road: 20 Main Road, corner of Boyes Drive and Main Road, Lakeside, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 12pm – 11pm
- Contact details: Toad In The Village: 021 789 2973 | Toad On The Road: 021 788 1135
- Website: www.toad.co.za
#The Green Room, Kommetjie
If you’re looking for the perfect local restaurant to enjoy a lovely laid-back lunch or dinner, The Green Room in the charming sea-side town of Kommetjie is perfect for you. At The Green Room its all about simple, yet delicious food, friendly service, a warm and welcoming atmosphere, all enjoyed in a beautiful setting.
- Location: 12 Huskisson Way, Kommetjie, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Mondays, 4pm – 9pm | Tuesday – Friday, 10am – 9pm | Saturday, 9am – 9pm | Sunday – closed
- Contact details: 066 078 6317 | 021 783 4148 | [email protected]
#The Black Bull Steakhouse
Another great restaurant to go for dinner in load shedding in Cape Town is The Black Bull Steakhouse located in West Beach, Blouberg. While The Black Bull Steakhouse is a quintessential steakhouse, well known for its exceptional steaks, they boast a jam-packed menu filled with a variety of options – ensuring there’s something for everyone to enjoy. They cater to all ages and also have a wonderful play area for the young ones. Paired with it’s relaxing, everyone-is-welcome atmosphere, The Black Bull Steakhouse is a fantastic family-friendly restaurant.
- Location: 104 Sandown Road West, West Beach, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Tuesday – Thursday, 10am – 10pm | Friday – Saturday, 9am – 10pm | Sunday, 9am – 7pm
- Contact details: 021 554 0528 | [email protected]