If you’re looking for something unique and exciting to do this weekend in Cape Town – Thursday 23 February – Sunday 26 February – the South African Aerial Dance Festival should be right at the top of your list!
- Location / Venue: Flying Fitness Studio @ Spier Wine Farm | Stellenbosch | The Shed, Santa Rd, Stellenbosch, Cape Town
- When: Thursday 23 February – Sunday 26 February 2023
- Cost / price: Once-off workshops from R250; Festival class passes R2700 – R4500
- Contact details: Charlotte Lau: 076-826-0999 | [email protected] | Instagram: @circleintheair
- Website: www.aerialfestsa.com
What started as a labour of love from a community of circus performers and dance / movement / flow artists, has now become so much MORE. Not only do you get to experience something incredibly unique, exhilarating, and truly unforgettable, but something that’s never been seen or showcased before and will ONLY be seen and showcased to the public this weekend – Undoubtedly making the South African Aerial Dance Festival 2023 a not-to-be-missed experience / event.
For one long weekend ONLY, the South African Aerial Dance Festival is giving you the exciting opportunity to run away to the circus – How fun and thrilling is that?! Taking place this long weekend (Thursday 23 February – Sunday 26 February 2023), South Africa will see its very first Aerial Dance Festival – which will include classes, workshops, and an “open mic”-style showcase – all of which will take place in Stellenbosch.
The South African Aerial Dance Festival is essentially a “choose your own adventure” program of aerial acrobatics, dance, flow arts, and ground circus disciplines aimed at absolutely everyone – from complete beginners through to advanced professionals.
Classes & workshops are for adults as well as teens aged 15+, and will cover the following:
- Lyra (Aerial hoop)
- Aerial silks
- Aerial sling (hammock)
- Flow arts – Poi & hula hoop
- Floorwork / Contemporary dance
- Rehab / Injury prevention
Why you should DEFINITELY go to this amazing event – According to the organizers themselves:
- Circus for adults!: Often these classes / workshops are just for kids, but we think adults should be able to get in on the fun and action too. As one of the organizers, I actually went to the circus in my mid-twenties, having ZERO dance / gymnastics background at all. So, for that reason and so many others, I think absolutely EVERYONE should have the experience and opportunity to get upside down, hang on an aerial apparatus, and totally surprise themselves!
- A first for South Africa: As the organizers of this incredible event, we’ve been in the aerial arts world for nearly a decade now and have had the privilege of attending similar festivals abroad (Ireland and the United States specifically). However, we have never found or seen anything like it in South Africa. This encouraged and motivated us to create the very thing we wanted to see: a place to build community in circus arts as well as foster play in adults. The very best of both!
- Come for the circus, stay for the wine farms: The South African Aerial Dance Festival 2023 is taking place in the stunning Cape Winelands town of Stellenbosch this year. This means if you decide to take only 1 or 2 classes at the event, you can make a really lovely circus & wonderful winelands weekend out of it.