In Cape Town, it’s all about the cool market vibes and good fun-loving times! There is no denying that the Mother City is at the very top of her market game, with an exciting variety of markets in virtually every neighbourhood across town. While most markets in Cape Town have remained closed during the COVID-19 Lockdown, some have re-opened for business. To ensure each market that has re-opened operates in accordance with all the Lockdown Alert Level 3 regulations, stringent health, hygiene, and social distancing protocols have been put in place to ensure the health and safety of all visitors, vendors and staff. The markets have also implemented strict limits on the number of people that are allowed into the market at one time. Everyone who visits these markets must always wear a mask and abide by the social distancing (of at least 2m) guidelines put in place.
Here are some Cape Town markets that are open during the Level 3 Lockdown period.
**Disclaimer/Important note: This article was last updated on 26/06/2020 as per the current Lockdown Alert Level 3 Regulations and statements. It is therefore subject to change in accordance with South Africa’s Lockdown Regulations.
#The Goodwill at the Mill POP-UP AT THE OLD BISCUIT MILL
The Neighbourgoods Market at the Old Biscuit Mill is undoubtedly one of the most popular markets in Cape Town among locals and tourists alike. A vibrant hub of creativity, art, culture, fresh produce, delectable gourmet goodies and everything in between, a visit to the Old Biscuit Mill should be on everyone’s Cape Town bucket-list. Besides their usual hustle and bustle vibe, the Neighbourgoods Market is changing things up during Lockdown to ensure they abide by all the Lockdown Alert Level 3 regulations and guidelines. During Lockdown, and until the Neighbourgoods Market is back in full swing, it will operate as a producer/supplier pop-up. The Goodwill at the Mill POP-UP will be open every Saturday from the 13th of June 2020, 09:00 – 14:00.
- Location: The Old Biscuit Mill, 373 – 375 Albert Road, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Saturdays 9am – 2pm
- Find out more: https://www.facebook.com/events
#ORANJEZICHT CITY FARM MARKET
Whether it’s the cool Oranjezicht City Farm vibe, it’s fresh local produce and mouth-wateringly delicious farmer’s market spread or its vibrant everyone-is-welcome atmosphere, people just can’t seem to get enough of this beloved Cape Town market. The Oranjezicht City Farmer’s Market (OZCF) is a non-profit project that pays tribute to its local farmer’s market roots by celebrating local food, culture, and community through urban farming in Cape Town. It is the perfect place to do your weekly organic produce shopping and enjoy a beautiful day out in the Mother City.
Under Level 3 Lockdown regulations, the Oranjezicht City Farm will be open to the public. However, visitors will only be permitted under restrictive health and safety protocols and only if they have specific reasons for needing to enter the farm. Casual, leisure visitors coming solely to enjoy being present on the farm will unfortunately not be permitted at this time. The Oranjezicht City Farm market will therefore be open for essential shopping only on Saturdays, 9am – 2pm.
- Location: It is located next to the corner of Sidmouth Avenue and Upper Orange Street, Oranjezicht, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Saturday, 9am – 2pm
- Need-to-know information: The gate to the farm will remain locked. Visitors will be required to knock on the gate or call out to request access from one of the farmers. Visitors will only be allowed to enter the farm if they are wearing a mask. All visitors requesting access will have their temperature taken with an infrared no-touch thermometer and anyone showing an elevated temperature will not be permitted onto the farm. On being permitted to enter the farm, visitors will be required to sanitise their hands as instructed. Visitors must maintain at least a 2m distance between them and everyone else on the farm at all times. A limited number of visitors will be permitted at any one time, and visitors may be instructed to leave the farm or to delay their entrance to the farm to maintain a safe number of people on the farm.
- More information & updates: For further updates should the situation change, please check their website, ozcf.co.za, and their social media channels: facebook.com/OZCFarm and instagram.com/OZCFarm
#BAY HARBOUR MARKET
Widely known as the most vibrant market in the Mother City, the Bay Harbour Market in Hout Bay has finally re-opened its doors to welcome back the spirit of Cape Town! The Bay Harbour Market truly is the ultimate celebration of community, culture, culinary pursuits, creative expression, and everything in between. Now you’ll be able to enjoy all the shopping, sharing, vibrant energy, laughter, dining, dancing, and lively local Bay Harbour Market vibe once again – just with face masks and COVID-19 protocols in place.
With the reopening of the Bay Harbour Market, the focus will be on all things local, including an awesome line-up of South African talent on the Fever-Tree Sound Stage every Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday. Besides incredible live music to lift everyone’s spirits, there will be an amazing selection of local wines, craft beers and gins on offer as well as a variety of delicious cuisine, ranging from street food to nibbly bits and platters perfect for the whole family. That’s not all, as always, the market’s shopping experience is right on point – You’ll find anything from top fashion, leather accessories and décor to art, collectables, crafts, gifting and so much more, all of which are unique and bespoke.
For more information about the traders and what they have to offer, visit the Bay Harbour Market website: www.bayharbour.co.za
- Location: 31 Harbour road, Hout Bay, Cape Town
- Contact details: [email protected] | 078 613 4532 |www.bayharbour.co.za
- Facebook: @bayharbour
- Instagram: @bayharbourmarket
- Twitter: @bayharbourmkt
**Extra tip: Besides a visit to the most vibrant market in Cape Town, why not make a day of it and explore the charming fishing village of Hout Bay while you’re there? Go on a lovely stroll on the Hout Bay Beach, walk around the Hout Bay Harbour, take a scenic drive along the renowned Chapman’s Peak Drive, visit the famous World of Birds (the largest bird park in Africa) or enjoy a scenic and adventure-filled boat cruise and explore the coastline from a different perspective – Hout Bay has something for everyone to enjoy!
#EARTH FAIR MARKET
The Earth Fair Market has officially reopened! Widely known as one of the best local food and farmers markets in city, this amazing Cape Town market has become a real fan-favourite among market lovers. The Earth Fair Market is all about changing up the way you shop by providing you with a top-quality market experience and some of the freshest local produce you’ll find anywhere in the city. From farm-fresh produce, organic vegetables, pasture-reared meats and so much more, the Earth Fair Market definitely doesn’t disappoint. Besides fresh local produce you can also find some of the most delicious afternoon delights and dinner options.
The Earth Fair Market fun doesn’t end there! Every Wednesday evening visitors are invited to enjoy some incredible live music, a great atmosphere, as well as amazing food vendors to choose from. Besides the fun Wednesday market festivities, Saturdays at the Earth Fair Market is perfect for enjoying a down-right delicious breakfast, having a fun-filled family day out, getting some weekend shopping done and treating yourself to a refreshing craft beer or indulgent treat.
**Important note: The Earth Fair Market is fully open every Wednesday from 4pm to 9pm and Saturday from 9am to 3pm during lockdown level 2.
- Location: Block B Unit 9, + 10, South Palms Centre, 333 Main Rd, Tokai, Cape Town
- Contact details: [email protected] | 067 108 1530 (WhatsApp only) | www.earthfairmarket.co.za
#MILNERTON FLEA MARKET
Located roughly 10 minutes outside of the city, Milnerton Flea Market can be found along Marine Drive just a short distance away from Lagoon Beach in Milnerton. Known among locals as the ultimate bargain hunter’s paradise in Cape Town, the Milnerton Market has something of everything for everyone. It’s no surprise that the Milnerton Market is popular for its 200 stalls, each offering something different, from bric-a-brac, collectables and antiques to simple everyday domestic tools and affordable houseplants. Whatever you’re looking for, the Milnerton Market has it all! This vibrant open-air market is also family friendly. Good news for you – its open during Lockdown Level 3 too!
The Milnerton Market will operate in accordance with all Lockdown Alert Level 3 regulations during this period. If you are not wearing a mask, you will immediately be denied entry into the market. Temperature checks will also be done on all visitors upon entering the market and Market Officials will ensure that strict social distancing guidelines of at least 2m are adhered to at all times.
- Location: Located on Marine Drive (R27), opposite Metro Industrial Park, Paarden Eiland, Cape Town.
- Operating hours: Open on weekends
#CAPE TOWN MARKET
The Cape Town Market will be open to all members of the public during the Coronavirus Lockdown and continue to trade and operate under normal trading hours. The Cape Town Market is one of the oldest and largest fresh produce markets in South Africa. With over 50 years of experience, The Cape Town Market services over 5500 producers who deliver fresh produce to their market agents, who in turn sell the fresh produce to over 8000 registered buyers. On top of that, the Cape Town Market is the only privatized fresh produce market operating in the country and the first to include agents and buyers as shareholders. Their produce buyers are equally important and range from large retail chains, wholesalers, and food processors, to informal traders, hawkers, and individuals. The Cape Town Markets invites you to experience the facilities, professional service, and the large variety of fresh produce on offer.
- Location: 110 Gunners Circle, Epping 1, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Monday – Thursday: 05h00 – 10h00 | Friday: 05h00 – 10h00 | Saturday: 05h00 – 08h00 | Sunday: CLOSED | Public Holidays: CLOSED
- Contact details: 021 531 2191 | 021 817 7800 | [email protected] | www.ctmarket.co.za
#MARKET AT THE BARN
The Market at the Barn is a weekly market that takes place inside a barn on a farm just outside of Durbanville on the R302. Due to South Africa’s current Lockdown, the Market at the Barn / Santas Warehouse/Market at the Barn is now open Saturdays and Sundays from 10am – 3pm. This means you can finally enjoy everything this one-stop unique pop‐up gift shop has to offer as well as a self-service food court. It is essential that all Lockdown Alert Level 3 regulations are adhered to, including wearing a mask at all times, following stringent health and hygiene protocols and maintaining strict social distancing of at least 2m.
The Market at the Barn is also open for “online orders” and pick-ups. By visiting their website and clicking on the ‘Vendors’ tab you will see a list of their incredible product available. Click on the photo of the product you are interested in purchasing and contact the trader personally to place your order. You will then pay the trader and arrange pick-up/delivery with them.
Under the ‘Online shop’ tab you will also find various products that you can order. Each product has a unique product code. To place an order, email [email protected] with the product code of the product you would like to order, the quantity and your contact details. Minimum order for courier delivery will be R300.00 and a minimum of 3 items. You can also choose to pick-up your order on either Wednesdays or Sundays from 10:00 – 14:00. Strict hygiene regulations will apply before entering the market for your pick-up.
- Location: Klipheuwel Rd, Cape Farms, Cape Town
- Operating hours: Saturdays & Sundays, 10am – 3pm
- Contact details: [email protected] | 0721681716 |
#KAMERS/Makers SPACE Pop-up Shop Stellenbosch
Running from the 22nd of June till the 22nd of July 2020, KAMERS/Makers SPACE will be hosting a super cool pop-up shop filled with a collection of stunning stuff. You can expect 100s of products ranging from winter fashion, handcrafted decor, tasty deli goods, delicious coffee, post-lockdown specials and so much more in an unforgettable space. Due to the COVID-19 Lockdown, KAMERS/Makers SPACE is re-inventing the wheel by introducing the ‘New Retail’ for the ‘New Normal’. Widely known as one of South Africa’s most-loved artisan market platforms, they are more committed than ever to support the hundreds of SME artisans who have come to depend on their events.
KAMERS/Makers SPACE will now offer a smaller number of ‘best of the best’ Makers (about 50) in residence for much longer than their usual shows (from 1 – 3 months), with the Maker mix constantly changing week on week. It’s the best of both worlds for KAMERS/Makers devotees! It gives you plenty of time to shop at your convenience over weeks and months, and the constantly changing, vibrant variety that has made KAMERS/Makers so immensely popular over two decades.
Here is how it will work:
- KAMERS/Makers SPACEs will pop up in several popular venues around the country.
- Every SPACE will be Covid-19 screened and certified – with rigorous controls in place to regulate entry and ensure the safety of all.
- A cashless system will be in operation, with a single central pay-point for shopper convenience.
- The www.kamers.co.za full online portal will be in situ – so shoppers can instantly order any of the 7000+ products that may not be on the shelves, for subsequent collection or delivery.
This is the perfect opportunity to support local proudly South African brands and creatives! If you like what you see, you can continue to shop online at www.kamers.co.za to your heart’s desire!
- Dates: 22 June – 22 July 2020
- Opening hours: Monday -Friday: 9:00 – 15:00 | Saturdays: 9:00 – 13:00
- More information: Follow their Facebook Events page to find out more & stay up to date
#BangBang VINTAGE MARKET 1st THURSDAYS CHURCH STREET POP-UP
1st Thursdays Church Street Pop-Up hosted by BangBang Vintage Market will be back in action on the 2nd of July 2020 in their usual spot – On the corner Of Church Street & Long Street, from 4:00pm to 8:30pm, next to Cafe Mozart. Visitors will once again be able to shop and support some of their favourite local traders with loads of fresh and fabulous stock to choose from. Some of the traders include:
- Location: Corner Of Church Street & Long Street, Cape Town
- Date: Thursday, 2nd of July 2020 | Check out their events page for future dates
- Time: 4pm – 8pm
- More information: Follow BangBang Vintage Market on Facebook for more information and updates
One of Cape Town’s favourite local thrift store initiatives, Second Hand, will be hosting the first Post lockdown Obs-fficial Thrift fest on Saturday the 1st of August 2020. While it may seem like a while away, we thought it’s the perfect time to drum up some hype and get you excited, especially for all the thrift enthusiasts out there! Plus, they have absolutely everything your thrift-loving heart desires. From exceptional second hand finds, hand-made creations and products to really good food, coffee, and silver rings, you definitely won’t leave empty handed! And that’s merely scratching the service of what you can expect to find!
- Location: Observatory Community Centre, Corner Collingwood and Rawson Road, Observatory, Cape Town
- When: Saturday, 1st of August 2020, 9:30am – 2:30pm
- More information: Follow their Facebook events page for any updates, information or changes to the event | You can also follow the Second Hand on Facebook for any updates, new dates, exciting news or need to-know-information
#SECOND HAND & TRENCHTOWN
Second Hand and Trenchtown will be hosting an epic July Tropical Trench Town event on Sunday the 26th of July 2020. Jam-packed full of one-of-a-kind second hand and cool thrift finds, clothing and accessories, arts, crafts, festival gear, a variety of handmade products and so much more – there truly is something for everyone! You don’t want to miss this cool laid-back event hosted by the power duo Second Hand and Trench Town – so be sure to mark it on your calendar!
- Location: Trenchtown, 143 Lower Main Road, 7925 Observatory, Cape Town
- When: Sunday, 26th of July 2020, 1:30pm – 6:30pm
- Contact details: 021 447 1787 | [email protected]
- More Information: Follow their Facebook events page for any updates, information or changes to the event | You can also follow Trenchtown and Second Hand on Facebook for any updates, new dates, exciting news or need to-know-information