The iconic Galileo Open Air Cinema is back for another sensational summer of movie magic to be enjoyed under the Mother City moonlight and a canopy of stars. Known as Cape Town’s first and finest outdoor movie experience, a visit to the Galileo Open Air Cinema deserves to be on everyone’s Cape Town summer bucket-list. To make this summer season extra special, the Galileo has taken their local fan-favourite outdoor movie experience to the next level by completely reinventing and reimagining their cinematic offering to bring the ultimate level of entertainment to the Mother City.
Whether you’re young or young at heart, the Galileo Open Air Cinema invites you to join in on all the 2020 summer fun with an outdoor movie experience you won’t soon forget. Here is just a little taste of what you can expect from the best outdoor cinema in Cape Town this season.
THREE EXCITING CINEMATIC EXPERIENCES
To celebrate their ninth consecutive season, the Galileo Open Air Cinema has introduced three dazzling concepts and cinematic experiences, namely The Galileo Royale (NEW!), The Galileo Picnic and The Galileo Drive In. This means there is something for everyone to enjoy!
#The Galileo Royale
The Galileo Royale is the Galileo Open Air Cinema’s new and exciting cinematic offering. This brand-new spin-off to the popular Galileo screenings is all about providing guests with an exclusive and intimate VIP themed movie experience. Each Wednesday the team behind Cape Town’s pioneer outdoor cinema will be rolling out the royal purple carpet at some of the most exclusive and exquisite venues across Cape Town, namely Suikerbossie in Hout Bay, Casa Labia in Muizenberg, Steenberg in Tokai and Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront in Granger Bay.
The Galileo Royale takes this outdoor cinematic experience to a whole new level as guests are invited to lap up the luxury and the royal treatment. Seats and side tables are laid out on the luscious lawns for guests to pick their spot. They will be treated to a complimentary appetizer and a welcome drink for a toast to be enjoyed to a gorgeous sunset and a magical backdrop. The sweet sounds of live music will set the tone and serenade movie-goers as they peruse the menu for a bite to eat. Guests will also receive a complimentary popcorn to snack on as they get ready to watch their favourite stars on the big, outdoor screen.
All of these incredible offerings and lavish touches are included in your ticket price. This unique affair will only cater for a limited number of couples and movie-goers. Pre-booking is essential if you’re looking to enjoy this new bucket-list worthy Galileo experience.
For more information, and to book your spot for a memorable movie experience, visit www.thegalileo.co.za.
Upcoming screenings at The Galileo Royale
- 04 November 2020: Grease | Suikerbossie, Hout Bay
- 11 November 2020: Bohemian Rhapsody | Casa Labia, Muizenberg
- 18 November 2020: Eat Pray Love | Steenberg Estate, Tokai
- 25 November 2020: About Time | Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Granger Bay
- 02 December 2020: Pretty Woman | Suikerbossie, Hout Bay
- 09 December 2020: The Great Gatsby | Casa Labia, Muizenberg
- 16 December 2020: Dirty Dancing | Steenberg Estate, Tokai
- 23 December 2020: Four Christmases | Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Granger Bay
- 30 December 2020: Notting Hill | Venue TBC
- The Galileo Royale: R290p/p (includes entry, movie, backrest, blanket, welcome drink, appetiser & small popcorn)
#The Galileo Picnic
The Galileo Picnic is the Galileo Open Air Cinema’s classic and cherished outdoor movie experience. In addition to enjoying a blockbuster hit under the Cape Town night sky, movie-goers can enjoy a variety of delicious snacks, meals and tasty treats from the local artisanal market, have some fun playing giant lawn games as well as enjoy a social picnic before the start of the movie at sunset.
The Galileo Picnic takes place at the beautiful Kirstenbosch Gardens (Thursdays & Sundays) as well as selected wine estates across the Cape Winelands (Saturdays). The Galileo Picnic is the perfect opportunity for friends and family to come together for a magical evening of blockbuster hits and classic movie favourites, delectable food, and amazing memories in some of the most beautiful locations in and around Cape Town.
Doors open at 6pm on Thursdays and Sundays, and 5pm on Saturdays. Reserve your seat under the stars today by heading to www.thegalileo.co.za.
Upcoming screenings at The Galileo Picnic
- 05 November 2020: La La Land | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 07 November 2020: The Notebook | Warwick Wine Estate
- 08 November 2020: 50 First Dates | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 12 November 2020: Into The Wild | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 14 November 2020: A Star Is Born | Lourensford Wine Estate
- 15 November 2020: Under The Tuscan Sun | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 19 November 2020: The Rocky Horror Picture Show | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 21 November 2020: Dirty Dancing | Boschendal Wine Estate
- 22 November 2020: Life of Pi | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 26 November 2020: Yesterday | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 28 November 2020: Mamma Mia! | Nederburg Wine Farm
- 29 November 2020: The Proposal | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 03 December 2020: Avengers Endgame | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 05 December 2020: The Greatest Showman | Warwick Wine Estate
- 06 December 2020: Cool Runnings | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 10 December 2020: Wavescape Film Festival | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 12 December 2020: Me Before You | Lourensford Wine Estate
- 13 December 2020: Bohemian Rhapsody | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 17 December 2020: The Holiday | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 19 December 2020: Love Actually | Boschendal Wine Estate
- 20 December 2020: Serendipity | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 24 December 2020: Jingle All The Way | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- 26 December 2020: Grease | Spier Wine Farm
- 27 December 2020: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again | Kirstenbosch Gardens
- Standard Ticket: R109 (entry only)
- Warm Ticket: R117 (entry & blanket)
- Comfy Ticket: R125 (entry & backrest)
- Warm & Comfy Ticket: R130 (entry, blanket & backrest)
#The Galileo Drive In
The Galileo Open Air Cinema is making old school cool again with its awesome drive-in experience in the form of The Galileo Drive-In. The Galileo Drive-In invites you to enjoy some of your favourite movie classics and cinematic delights on the big screen from the comfort of your own car. The Galileo Drive In will form part of The Galileo Open Air Cinema’s schedule every Friday, as the need for a COVID-friendly option has been appreciated by movie-goers across the Cape.
With a range of family-friendly favourites lined-up, The Galileo Drive In is a nostalgic, fun, and safe way to enjoy a memorable night out with the whole family. Park your car, get your boot set-up with tons of pillows and blankets, sit back, relax, and cuddle up with your loved ones as you enjoy a family-friendly blockbuster film under the canopy of stars above you. Besides a bucket-list worthy drive-in movie experience, you can pre-order a selection of delicious snacks such as pizzas, popcorn and other indulgent treats with your tickets or bring along your favourite movie snacks – the choice is yours!
This safe and fun cinematic experience is the best COVID-friendly outdoor option for families to enjoy together. Book your tickets at www.thegalileo.co.za.
Upcoming screenings at The Galileo Drive In
- 06 November 2020: The Lion King | The Cape Academy, Constantia
- 13 November 2020: Beauty And The Beast | Vredenhof Sports Fields, Rondebosch
- 20 November 2020: Mrs. Doubtfire | The Cape Academy, Constantia
- 27 November 2020: Aladdin | Vredenhof Sports Fields, Rondebosch
- 04 December 2020: Wavescape Film Festival | The Cape Academy, Constantia
- 11 December 2020: Moana | Vredenhof Sports Fields, Rondebosch
- 18 December 2020: The Princess Bride | The Cape Academy, Constantia
- 2 Person Car: R250 (equates to R125pp)
- 3 Person Car: R330 (equates to R110pp)
- 4 Person Car: R390 (equates to R98pp)
- 5 Person Car: R430 (equates to R86pp)
- 6 Person Car: R450 (equates to R75pp)
- The Galileo Royale: R290p/p (includes entry, movie, backrest, blanket, welcome drink, appetiser & small popcorn).
- The Galileo Picnic: R109 – R130 depending on your ticket selection.
- The Galileo Drive In: From R250 for two people.