It’s official! The beloved local Hout Bay hidden gem the Clay Café is finally open during Cape Town’s Lockdown Alert Level 3! There is no doubt that the Clay Café Hout Bay has become one of the Mother City’s top attractions for locals and tourists alike. Situated in the heart of the valley of Hout Bay, a visit to the Clay Café should be on everyone’s Cape Town bucket-list!
Besides it’s sought-after status and charismatic appeal, the Clay Café boasts a beautiful large open patio with stunning outside tables overlooking a luscious garden. They also have a veggie garden and their own African chic boutique.
But what really keeps people coming back for more is the unique and exciting creative experience the Clay Café offers their guests! Each person is given the chance to indulge in their own personal ceramic masterpiece by choosing from an array of unfired bisque (already made pottery pieces) and a wide selection of colourful paints and tools to create their own piece of unique crockery. It’s the perfect opportunity to let your hair down, get creative, unleash your inner artist or creative spirit, and have tons of fun doing it! Another amazing perk of visiting the Clay Café is that there is no age limit, which means both the young and young at heart are invited to join in on all the Clay Café creativity and fun!
HOW WILL THINGS WORK DURING THE COVID-19 LOCKDOWN?
To ensure that the Clay Café is in full compliance with all Lockdown Alert Level 3 regulations, they have implemented various safety measures and guidelines to ensure the health and safety of all visitors and staff. Here are some of their health and safety protocols:
- The Clay Café sanitizes the entire café with a room sanitizer spray every evening. Each table is sanitized and wiped down after each booking. Screens are set up to help with social distancing. They ask that visitors to the Clay Café be extremely aware of keeping a safe following distance and abide by the social distancing guidelines (of at least 2m) when moving around. Bathrooms are sanitized every hour.
- Masks are always to be worn, except when eating or drinking.
- All visitors to the Clay Café Hout Bay are requested to sanitise their hands upon entering and exiting bathrooms. Children playing outside must sanitize their hands before playing and must only go on go-boeings with children sitting at their own table. Parents are responsible for watching their children and ensuring that safe play is happening when their kids are outside. It is essential that children abide by the aforementioned guidelines, including wearing a mask (except when eating) and maintaining appropriate social distancing.
HOW WILL PAINTING WORK WHEN VISITING THE CLAY CAFÉ?
- Visitors to the Clay Café are requested to please choose their items from the stock available. Only pick your items up once you have decided what you want (Please don’t touch otherwise).
- R40 studio fee includes paints, tools, firing and glazing. Extra paint can be bought at R15 each and are yours to keep. Brushes are on loan from the Clay Café; however you can also buy your own brushes if you choose to.
- The Clay Café kindly requests that all visitors and guests help in any way they can to keep the Clay Café as clean and safe as possible for everyone – we are ALL in this together after all. As the painting brushes are on loan from the café, they kindly ask that all brushes please be put in the jik solution when you are done using them, as well as the water bowls. Videos showcasing the proper techniques on how to do this can be found on their Facebook page: Clay Café Hout Bay. You are also more than welcome to chat to any of their amazing staff members if you need any assistance, they will be more than happy to assist.
Besides their fun creative experiences and activities available for people of all ages, the Clay Café is home to an amazing restaurant which will be serving a limited, but down-right delicious menu. All their meals are freshly prepared when ordered and their ingredients are freshly sourced as well as sourced from Halaal suppliers.
The Clay Café is thus Halaal friendly, as well as caters for vegetarians and vegans – Making sure there is something delicious for everyone to enjoy!
HOW TO ORDER:
- If you would like to order one of the Clay Café Restaurant’s delicious meals, you will place your order at the ordering desk.
- You will be given a buzzer that will ring when your drinks/ food is ready, you can then collect your order for an allocated table.
- After you’ve enjoyed your meal, you are kindly requested to discard of your plates, knives, and forks for sanitizing purposes in the allocated containers.
With so many amazing options available, it gives visitors to the Clay Café the opportunity to spend a leisurely few hours painting away and letting their creative juices flow, and then enjoying a delicious meal or one of their sensational farm style breakfasts or lunches afterwards.
CLAY CAFÉ HOUT BAY HOME PAINTING KITS
If you prefer to enjoy the Clay Café painting experience from the comfort of your home – No problem! They have put together incredible ‘home painting kits’ which can be ordered online with next day delivery. If you’re interested in placing your order, click here.
- Address: Clay Cafe, 4080 Main Road, Hout Bay, Cape Town | Opposite Bokkemanskloof Estate
- Operating hours: Open 9-5pm daily | All bookings are set at 3 hours
- Contact details: 076 810 5120 | 062 455 6578 | [email protected] | www.claycafe.co.za
- Facebook: @ClayCafeHoutBay
- Instagram: @theclaycafe_houtbay
- Additional information: As the Clay Café, along with many other businesses, are navigating their way through this ‘new normal’, they ask that visitors please be patient with them during this new transition period. They would however like to assure all visitors, as well as those that are thinking of visiting, that ensuring their health and safety is the Clay Café’s TOP priority – and will continue to be throughout! They always appreciate your feedback, so feel free to share it with them and please remember to spread the word if you have enjoyed your experience with the Clay Café – Let’s ALL SUPPORT LOCAL wherever and whenever we can & encourage others to do the same!
CLAY CAFÉ GARDEN’S BRANCH: @claycafe_inthecity
In addition to its wildly popular Hout Bay location, the Clay Café has officially opened another branch in the trendy inner-city neighbourhood of Gardens. Clay Café In The City offers adult ceramic painting in the heart of Cape Town under a sea of beautiful lush greenery. To ensure they are in full compliance will all Lockdown Alert Level 3 regulations and do all they can to ensure the health and safety of their clients and staff, they have removed all their shared tables and created a spacious new painting area.
ADDITIONAL SAFETY MEASURES & GUIDELINES IMPLEMENTED
- On arrival all customers will be screened, answer a health questionnaire, and sanitize their hands. Customers are always required to wear a face mask (as per government regulations).
- All tables will be properly set up with your painting tools, water bowls and cutlery when you arrive. There will also be 3 painting stations set up around the room to limit the amount of movement by customers.
- Each table is spaced 1.5 – 2m apart from the next to ensure compliance with strict social distancing guidelines.
- All the tools used as well as each table is thoroughly sanitized before and between each seating.
- The entire Clay Café space is sanitized every evening with an industrial room sanitizer.
- The safety of staff and clients is the Clay Café’s TOP priority. They are therefore fully committed to taking all the necessary health and safety steps and measures to ensure it is upheld to the highest of standards.
The Clay Café In The City will have some amazing winter warmer meals available with a new and improved ordering system to keep both their clients and staff as comfortable and safe as possible. When it comes to their food, they are all about keeping it simple with a few of the best gourmet snacks, South African cheese, and Charcuterie boards. They will also be serving Clay Café’s infamous pizzas and meals of the day.
The Clay Café In The City has recently launched their Saturday Sessions which include brunch and painting – what could be better than that? Clay Café’s Saturday Sessions will be taking place every Saturday from the 18th of July 2020 from 10am – 1:30pm. For bookings and menu options you can email [email protected] or WhatsApp (061) 917 4191.