As Cape Town is in the midst of a Nationwide Lockdown to curb the spread of COVID-19, many locally owned businesses across South Africa and Cape Town have been hit hard. Although these measures are absolutely vital to stem the spread of COVID-19 and flatten the curve, local Cape Town businesses, small locally owned grocery stores, bakeries and local food service distributors have been feeling the strain. It has become more important than ever before for South Africans and Cape Town locals to unite, lift each other up and support small local businesses wherever and however we can. The truth is, we are all in this together! So, let’s step up, support local and let our Cape Town unity, vibrant local spirit, resilient nature and unwavering sense of community shine through!
Here are some local Cape Town online food stores, small local businesses, locally owned grocery stores and food chains, bakeries and food service distributors that not only have some amazing food, frozen meals, incredible fresh produce and delicious healthy options to choose from (catering to every taste, craving and food desire), but would really appreciate ALL the local support they can get during this time. The best thing is, they deliver!
Your everyday groceries are only a click away! Home Groceries is a 100% local sustainable online grocery and home essentials store offering at home delivery services in Cape Town and surrounds. With a sole focus on proudly South African produce, Home Groceries boasts a wide selection of fresh fruit and vegetables sourced from local Cape Town farms, a range of quality poultry options, everyday beverages, a variety of home and grocery essentials and so much more. Home Groceries has everything you could possibly want and need! All of which can be delivered right to your doorstep, making the entire process extremely easy and convenient.
Besides being one of the top Cape Town based online grocery stores, offering clients an incredible and vast selection of fresh and sustainable produce, groceries and essentials, Home Groceries’ mission is centered around uplifting and supporting local communities and surrounding neighbourhoods to grow within. They therefore not only offer clients top-quality produce and groceries at great prices, but pride themselves on supporting local every step of the way, and encouraging everyone else to do the same! Visit Home Groceries’ online store today to get everything you need and play your part in supporting LOCAL!
- Delivery: Home Groceries offers next day deliveries (after payment reflects | Payment methods include credit & debit cards via Payfast, Bank EFT & online instant EFT as well as via Payfast South Africa) | Free delivery for orders over R500 (make sure to choose the free delivery option on checkout once you have added all your groceries and essentials to your online cart) |Orders under R500 = R50 delivery fee | Delivery is available in Cape Town and surrounds from Monday – Saturday.
- How to order: Visit www.homegroceries.co.za; Click on ‘SHOP’ at the top of the home page; Add all your fresh, sustainable & locally sourced produce, groceries, and essentials to your online cart; Once you’ve filled your cart with everything you need click on ‘CHECKOUT’ at the top of the page; Once on the checkout page you will provide all the necessary information & delivery details; Finally you’re ready to place your order!
- Contact details: 021 551 3855| www.homegroceries.co.za
- Location: 3 Drill Avenue, Unit 6 & 7 Drill Park, Montague Gardens, Cape Town
- Important information: Prices on the shop are excluding vat and vat is calculated upon checkout.
Granadilla is making it super easy for everyone to stay healthy and eat healthy during South Africa’s 21-day Nationwide Lockdown. In supporting self-isolation, Granadilla is now offering immune boosting fruits & veggies delivered straight to your door. Their wide range of colourful, organic, immune-boosting, fresh and seasonal selection of fruits and vegetables are all sourced from local farms and absolutely delicious. They’ve put together the following incredible fresh produce, fruit and veggie boxes that can be ordered online or via WhatsApp (079 173 4044) and delivered right to your doorstep. It is only available in Cape Town.
- Mixed Veggie & Fruit Box with Sourdough
- Mixed Veggie & Fruit Box
- Italian-inspired Box with Sourdough
- Italian-inspired Box
- 4-pack of Sunn Kombucha
- Website for orders: www.granadillaswim.com
- Contact details: 079 173 4044
Raw Nutrition is all about offering fresh, locally sourced fruits and vegetables at very affordable prices paired with premium service delivery. They have therefore made it incredibly easy for the people of Cape Town to purchase fresh, wholesome produce and meals during South Africa’s 21-day Nationwide Lockdown period. Raw Nutrition has a wide range of fresh produce and goods to choose from including a variety of fresh vegetables, baby vegetables, lettuce & herbs, fruits, eggs, oil products, chopped veg pillows and a varied selection of dried goods.
With their easy to use online shopping cart, you can simply select the items you desire, complete your customer details and send it through to them. They will then be in touch immediately along with a confirmation of your order as well as a quote and delivery details. Your fresh produce and dry goods will then be delivered directly to your door.
- How to order: Visit their website www.rawnutrition.co.za | Click on the ‘Order’ tab | Add all your desired items to your cart | Follow the check-out prompts | You can pay using Payfast, immediate eft or your credit card
- Contact details: [email protected] | 021 551 9705
- Additional information: Orders have about 24-48 hours lead time except orders placed on a Sunday they will be delivered on Tuesday
- Outreach Initiative: Raw Nutrition has partnered up with a Pastor in Gugulethu & started an initiative called ‘Help a home’ during this difficult time, to provide some food parcels for homes in need. If you are willing to help add the R20 ‘help a home’ item to your cart. Raw Nutrition have already donated R5000 to this cause. Any help during this time is greatly appreciated as South Africa and Cape Town unite to fight this battle together.
OneCart is one of South Africa’s top, trusted and respected fast-moving consumer goods marketplaces and grocery delivery services that will be operating during South Africa’s 21-day Nationwide Lockdown. With over 35 stores to choose from, OneCart boasts a wide variety of options to satisfy all your food, produce and grocery needs. Some of their stores include Pick ‘n Pay, Woolworths, Jacksons, Food Lover’s Market, Dis-Chem, Clicks, Fruits & Roots and so much more.
However, in response to the regulations set out, OneCart has removed all non-essential stores and categories from their platform, including liquor and cigarettes. Grocery Stores, Pharmacies and Pet Stores will remain open on OneCart and available to order from.
How does OneCart work:
- Place an order on OneCart from multiple of your favourite stores in your area and choose your delivery date and time.
- Shop & search items easily from any of their well-known stores or create shopping lists for faster checkout. You can even shop by recipe for that dinner inspiration!
- Your order is immediately routed to a personal OneCart concierge shopper who hand picks the BEST products from the stores you chose.
- Pay for your items securely using our 3D-secure payment process or via instant EFT option.
- A verified OneCart delivery partner will bring your groceries to your doorstep at your chosen time, guaranteed.
- Operating times: Their new operating times during the Nationwide Lockdown period will however coincide with the store’s opening and closing times with which they are partnered | The operating times will be Monday – Friday 9am – 3pm | Saturday 9am – 3pm | Sunday 9am – 2pm
- Delivery: Although OneCart is experiencing a high demand in orders due to the Nationwide COVID-19 pandemic, they are striving to maintain their same-day delivery status | Due to the current state of the nation and the position we all find ourselves in, OneCart is managing operational fluctuations, such as out of stock items and public transport limitations best they can. But you can rest assured that they continue to strive to deliver the best service possible to their clients as well as rest assured that you will be refunded automatically if a particular item ordered was out of stock and could therefore not be found.
- Contact details: www.onecart.co.za | [email protected] | [email protected] | 067 064 2856
#WE ARE FOOD
We Are Food is another incredible local food business that is committed to providing you with nutritious meals throughout the Nationwide Lockdown period. We Are Food is a proudly South African business, providing marvellous home-style meals for your freezer. We are Food makes up wholesome, tasty and affordable frozen dishes using only the freshest ingredients sourced from local suppliers. These incredible meals are available in stores and through deliveries around KZN, Gauteng and Cape Town.
We Are Food currently offers a delivery service in specific areas of KZN, Gauteng, Cape Town and the Garden Route during specific time slots. Please note that this delivery option requires a minimum order amount of R500 and that orders generally require a 2-business day lead time. If your delivery area is not listed as an available option, feel free to contact them, as they may still be able to arrange your delivery for you or direct you to their closest Click and Collect partner.
- How to place orders: Visit their website www.wearefood.co.za to place your order | You can also contact their stores and depots directly to place an order to check trading hours | Cape Town: Caroline: 066 252 1070 | Knysna: Candice: 082 780 1849
#COOL BANANAS THE VEGOLOGISTS
Cool Bananas the Vegologists is another amazing local food distributor that is ready and waiting to deliver a range of fresh vegetables, fruits, variety of groceries, cut vegetables, grains and nuts, drinks, dairy, herbs, lettuce and fine vegetables right to your doorstep by means of their top delivery team. At Cool Bananas the Vegologists, they believe in superior quality as the fresh produce and groceries they supply their clients with skips the middleman and supermarket shelves. Which means you only receive the freshest and tastiest ingredients and produce. At Cool Bananas the Vegologists they receive their produce daily from local farms and suppliers they trust. As soon as you place your order, they carefully pack it and deliver it right to your doorstep.
- Delivery: Delivery takes place from Monday – Saturday | Free delivery for order over R300 | Delivery takes place in all areas of Cape Town
- To place orders: Order online via their website www.cool-bananas.co.za | 021 511 8054
#THE GREEN HOUSE GROCER
The Green House Grocer is a locally sourced organic grocer in the heart of Kenilworth. Focused on sustainability The Green House Grocer offers a variety of 100% organic fresh produce, a weigh and pay dry goods section along with pre-packaged plant-based pantry items. With fresh bread delivered daily, The Green House Grocer is the perfect place for your day to day kitchen must haves.
- Trading hours: In store: Tuesday – Friday 12pm – 4pm | Delivery: Tuesday – Friday 4:30pm onwards
- Important information: In-store customers will be capped at four customers at a time | Online deliveries to be placed before 12pm for next day delivery
- Contact details: 082 047 2375 | [email protected]
- Location: 27A Putney Road, Kenilworth, Cape Town
#THOSE WHO HARVEST
Those Who Harvest are people who harvest fruit and philosophy, honey and hope, energy and experience and are growers of chives, chilli and change. Every week Those Who Harvest harvests seasonal organic fresh produce from their various local farms and gardens and package it in minimal eco-friendly packaging. Once a week they deliver these boxes of their latest harvests of fresh organic seasonal produce to people nearby and various collection points in Cape Town. Boxes are available in two size options: Small and Large. They also offer homemade or harvested products like honey, nuts, jams and confyts. Occasionally they offer optional seasonal add-ons such as eggs, almonds and honey. The content of the boxes may change and vary from week to week, depending on what they’re harvesting.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak they have made some changes to their collection options. They are now temporarily offering door deliveries within Mowbray, Observatory, Woodstock, Tamboerskloof, Vredehoek, and Cape Town CBD at an additional delivery fee of R30, between 2-4pm. They have also stopped their office deliveries, and their Mowbray collection point will now be from 5-7pm.
- Cape Town: City Bowl – Dunkley Square Parking Lot, on Tuesday between 1pm-2pm
- Cape Town: City Bowl – Door deliveries, on Tuesday between 2pm-4pm
- Cape Town: Mowbray – 40 Malleson Road, on Tuesday between 5pm-7pm
- Piket-bo-berg: Home drop-offs, on Thursday between 10am-12pm
- Piketberg: Home drop-offs, on Thursday between 10am-12pm
- Contact details: 081 0311 729 | [email protected]
seafood delivered straight to your door anywhere in Cape Town. So, if you’re a head-over-heels seafood lover Caught Online is perfect for you! At Caught Online, they are dedicated to delivering an exceptional seafood experience to each and every one of their customers that they just won’t find at any local retailer. Every product they sell is carefully and thoughtfully selected and taste tested in order to ensure their customers receive only the best in both quality and taste. In addition to superior seafood, Caught Online is incredibly passionate about sustainability. Therefore, in each product subscription you will be able to see the relevant sustainability information of the product you purchased such as its listing on the SASSI list.
At Caught Online they boast a wide selection of seafood including Fish (portions, fillets, Caviar), Shellfish (Prawns, Calamari, Mussels, Scallops, Clams, Crab), Crumbed Fish Cakes & Prawns, Smoked & Cured Fish (Smoked, Pates) as well as a variety of sauces spices and Sushi.
- You can order your seafood directly on their website (www.caughtonline.co.za), checkout online and receive your order the next day.
- Pay in an instant with SnapScan or Zapper, alternatively pay with Credit & Debit Card Online, Card or Cash on Delivery or Instant EFT
- Your order will be delivered to you the next day around Cape Town and the surrounding suburbs, Monday to Friday | Caught Online has also implemented new extended delivery routes and now offers weekly delivery to Fish Hoek, Kommetjie, Paarl, Somerset West, Strand, Franschhoek, Simon’s Town, Stellenbosch and the surrounding suburbs.
- Contact details: www.caughtonline.co.za | 071 111 9074 | 083 937 3163.
- Operating hours: Monday – Friday 8:30am -5pm
Mamamac’s is a small bakery nestled in the heart of the beautiful Ceres valley. Starting in a farm kitchen, using and perfecting traditional, family recipes Mamamac’s has grown and flourished in the last 20 years and has become somewhat of a beloved Ceres Valley institution. At Mamamac’s they offer a range of delicious biscuits and rusks, baked with natural ingredients and no added preservatives. Mamamac’s offers a variety of rusks to suite every taste from Buttermilk, Fruit & Spice, Bran & Multiseed to Oats & Bran Flakes, Three Seed with Raisons and Buttermilk & Sunflower Seeds. Not to mention their delicious biscuits that include Ginger, Dark Chocolate & Almond, Crunchie, Coffee, Coconut, Chocolate Chip, Vanilla and Shortbread. All these sensational rusks and biscuits are available to be purchased online for your convenience.
- Visit their online shop: www.mamamacs.co.za
- Contact details: [email protected] | 023 313 4338
- Location: Main road of Prince Alfred’s Hamlet in the Western Cape.
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday from 7:30am – 5pm
Wild Organics is on a mission to change the way people eat, one freshly sourced organic product at a time. Fresh, organic fruit and veg bags are at the heart of what Wild Organics is all about. They offer a choice of 3 Wild Bags – the Standard Bag, the Mini Bag and the Made-to-Order Bag. Each week, they source high quality, organically farmed produce, and hand pack a bag of the best of what’s in season at the time. Their fresh fruit and veggies will therefore vary weekly, as they follow the seasonal harvest of local farmers. Once the bags are packed, they will deliver them each Wednesday to a convenient collection point as well as to your home in or around Cape Town.
In addition to the wide range of fresh fruit and vegetables included in your Wild Organics bag, you are also welcome to add some tasty extras to your Wild Standard or Mini Bag from their selection of breads and cheeses, meats, dried and bottled goods.
- How to order: You can place your order on their website www.wildorganics.co.za which opens for orders from 6pm Wednesday evening through to 10am Sunday morning | Due to high demand the website will only be open for orders again on the 8th of April 2020
- Deliveries: Wild Organics delivers on Wednesdays except for La Famiglia which happens on a Tuesday | Wild Organics has certain Collection Points to select from throughout the City of Cape Town Metro (which can be viewed on their website) | All orders must be collected on the day of delivery | A reminder sms will be sent once your order is ready for collection at your chosen Collection Point | If you have an order that includes dairy or meat produce, they suggest a home delivery |A delivery fee of R75 will be charged for a home delivery | Visit their website for more information
- Contact details: www.wildorganics.co.za | 021 510 5447 | 084 448 1920 | [email protected]
- Operating hours: Monday – Thursday 9am-4pm | Friday 9am – 2pm | Saturday – 9am – 1pm
- Location: 29J Gray Street, Paarden Eiland, Cape Town
Yebo Fresh is made up of a passionate team that is on a mission to make quality food accessible to South Africa’s lower income population through price accessibility and convenience. Yebo Fresh also prides themselves on being a new online shopping service, delivering popular groceries straight into areas that are generally unserved by most formal retailers. They boast a wide variety of groceries, produce and products ranging from meat, poultry, fish, fruits, vegetables, dry goods, bulk packs (which includes an assortment of products), frozen foods, house-hold items and toiletries. Thereby ensuring you have everything you need to get you through. In addition, Yebo Fresh also has a range of incredible Combo Deals and Specials of the Week that are not only affordable, but absolutely delicious too.
- Delivery: The minimum order size for free delivery is R500 | Yebo Fresh charges R50 for smaller deliveries | Lead time may be longer than usual due to demand therefore it is essential that you order as much as possible in advance in order for them to secure the supply of all products | They do not accept cash payments, EFT is therefore preferred or card payments
- Contact details: www.yebofresh.co.za | 078 588 4834 (call or WhatsApp)
- Operating hours: Open 7 Days a week from 9am to 7pm
- Location: 1 Boston Circle, Airport Industria, Cape Town
Some Thyme is a proudly South African Wholesale Supplier of quality fruit, vegetables & herbs. Some Thyme prides themselves on delivering the best possible service to each and every customer by providing them with the best and freshest produce on the market, paired with unbeatable prices. At Some Thyme all orders, big or small, are treated with the same level of importance and prices and quality are tailored to each customer’s needs. At Some Thyme they believe in providing their customers with the very best quality and value for money. Their stock is rotated regularly, and the stock that can no longer be sold is donated to shelters or soup kitchens.
Some Thyme offers customers a variety of fresh produce to choose from ranging from a wide selection of vegetable (as well as cut vegetables and baby vegetables), fruit, salads and herbs as well as eggs.
- Orders can be placed online: www.somethyme.co.za | Free delivery for orders above R350
- Delivery areas: All Northern Suburbs – Monday to Friday (Kraaifontein, Brackenfell, Durbanville, Bellville, Parow, Goodwood, Monte Vista, Edgemead, Bothasig) ; Paarl – Tuesday and Fridays ; Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Gordons Bay – Tuesdays and Fridays ; Cape Town to Hout Bay – Monday to Fridays ; Southern Suburbs (up to Tokia) – Monday to Fridays ; Cape Town to Melkbosstrand – Monday to Fridays
- Contact details: www.somethyme.co.za | 021 534 0290 | 082 441 3595 | [email protected]
- Operating hours: Monday – Friday 7am – 3pm
- Location: 2 Cochrane Ave, Epping, Cape Town
Buyfresh.co.za is the most convenient way to order fresh produce from local farmers and artisanal food producers. At Buyfresh.co.za they go out of their way to ensure that each and every one of their products are carefully and thoughtfully selected and are of the highest quality with every order placed. Should a product not meet your expectations, they will be happy to replace it for you at no additional cost. At Buyfresh.co.za, they take the quality of their products seriously. They therefore offer ethically sourced products with top quality guaranteed. And an added bonus is that by placing your order with Buyfresh.co.za, you can save up to 30% compared to grocery store prices.
At Buyfresh.co.za they offer an extensive range of products including fresh produce (fruits, vegetables, herbs, organic herbs, organic vegetables), meat & poultry (beef, deli meats, lamb, pork, poultry); fish & seafood, prepared meals (frozen meals, bone broth, deli, dips & tapas), dairy & eggs (butter, milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs, non-dairy milk & drinks) as well as a variety of delicious freshly baked goods, snacks and pantry items.
By shopping online with Buyfresh.co.za, you’re choosing the most eco-friendly way to shop. With their new, reusable packaging and ice packs, they’re able to get your orders delivered to you faster and fresher than ever before. Experience the convenience of same day/next day delivery. Delivery is free for orders over R600!
- How to order: Visit their website www.buyfresh.co.za & fill up your cart will all the goods you want and need | Schedule a delivery day that best suits you | Your order will be delivered to your door
details: www.buyfresh.co.za | 021 286 6840 |
- Location: Unit 8, Ravenscraig Mews, Ravenscraig Road, Woodstock
#SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Support Your Local is an incredible platform sharing ways that you can support small food businesses and the communities that they support during South Africa’s 21-day Nationwide Lockdown.
Visit the Support Your Local Instagram page to see all the amazing local Cape Town businesses, food deals, ready-made meals, fresh produce, groceries, supplies, community outreach initiatives and so much more.