Located approximately 75 kilometres from Cape Town, the beautiful Franschhoek Wine Valley is home to some of the most exceptional culinary gems and magnificent Wine Estates. Boasting a selection of South Africa’s ‘Top 100’ restaurants, Franschhoek has established itself as the country’s culinary capital.
Here are the 10 best restaurants in Franschhoek, each of which promises an unforgettable dining experience.
#1 La Petite Colombe
A veritable jewel in the Franschhoek food crown, La Petite Colombe offers visitors an unforgettable dining experience in the heart of the Franschhoek Wine Valley. Recipient of various prestigious culinary awards, some of which include the 2020 ‘Trip Advisor Travellers Choice’ award, the ‘50 Best Discovery’ Restaurant award, ‘Trip Advisor Travellers Choice’, and ‘Eat Out Top 10 Restaurant’ award in 2019 (to mention just a few), La Petite Colombe has firmly established itself as one of the best Franschhoek restaurants and the Western Cape.
Diners can expect sensational culinary creations and a theatrical array of superb dishes from La Petite Colombe’s exceptionally talented Head Chef John Norris-Rogers. Diners can choose between four superb menus – La Petite Colombe’s Reduced Menu, The Reduced Vegetarian Menu, The Chef’s Experience, and The Chef’s Vegetarian Experience – ensuring there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Paired with the magnificent surroundings of the Franschhoek Wine Valley and Leeu Estate, it promises to be a memorable dining experience.
- Location: Leeu Estates, Dassenberg Rd, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 202 3395 | [email protected]
- Website: www.lapetitecolombe.com
- Booking: To find out more about La Petite Colombe’s booking & reservation details or to make a booking click here or contact them on 021 202 3395 or [email protected]
#2 Chefs Warehouse at Maison
Chefs Warehouse is regarded as one of the top restaurants in Cape Town, with Chefs Warehouse at Maison in Franschhoek being no exception. This exceptional vineyard and mountain-facing restaurant on Maison Wine Estate is headed by chef David Schneider who worked alongside award-winning Chef Liam Tomlin and Ivor Jones.
The culinary vision for Chefs Warehouse at Maison is to create a taste experience that matches the magnificent setting of the Maison Estate. By using only the freshest locally sourced ingredients, based on seasonal availability, diners can expect a global tapas inspired menu that incorporates a world of different flavours in one, multi-coursed meal, accompanied by excellent wines.
- Location: Maison Estate, R45, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 876 2116 | [email protected] | [email protected]
- Website: www.maisonestate.co.za/restaurant/
- Opening times: Monday – Sunday – Lunch: 12pm – 3pm | Dinner: 6pm – 8:30pm
- Booking: Click here to book a table or contact Chefs Warehouse at Maison on 021 876 2116 or [email protected]
#3 Le Coin Français
Le Coin Français is one of the more recent restaurant additions to the Franschhoek culinary scene. Headed up by Chef Darren Badenhorst, Le Coin Français is a restaurant that is really and truly for Franschhoek, both in concept and in name as “Le coin Français” literally means Franschhoek. From the moment you arrive, you will experience the full essence of Franschhoek in heritage, cuisine, art, and wine.
When visiting Le Coin Français diners can expect cutting edge methods that meet time tested French elegance in cuisine, a carefully selected locally themed wine list to showcase the best local wines on offer, a French sommeliers selection, and an ever-evolving collaboration of art. Paired with its magnificent Franschhoek Wine Valley location, Le Coin Français is undoubtedly one of the best restaurants in Franschhoek.
- Location: 17 Huguenot Rd, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 074 126 0022 | [email protected]
- Website: www.lecoinfrancais.co.za/restaurant/
- Opening times: Lunch: Saturdays, 12pm – 2:30pm | Dinner: Thursday – Saturday, 5pm – 7pm | Booking is essential
- Booking: Click here to make a booking or to find out more information about their bookings and reservations
#4 Le Chêne
Le Chêne, another one of Chef Darren Badenhorst’s restaurant ventures, is a fully renovated space located at the Manor House on the exclusive Leeu Estates in Franschhoek. Le chêne, meaning “The oak tree”, is a further testament to the culinary capital of Franschhoek where Badenhorst has become synonymous in delivering fine cuisine.
Boasting sweeping panoramic views of the exquisite Leeu Estate and beautiful Franschhoek Wine Valley from within a glass observatory dining room, diners can choose to enjoy a selection of two or three course dining experiences. They also have the option to add on various courses to create a full tasting menu experience. Utilizing only the finest local ingredients off the estate itself, the menu is a true testament to the diversity and beauty of the region.
- Location: Dassenberg Rd, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 492 5988 | [email protected]
- Website: www.lechene.co.za/restaurant/
- Opening times: Breakfast: Monday to Sunday, 7am – 10:30am | Lunch: Monday to Sunday, 12pm – 2:30pm | Dinner: Monday to Sunday, 7pm – 8:30pm | Booking is essential
- Booking: Click here to make a booking or to find out more information about their bookings and reservations
#5 Pierneef à La Motte
When it comes to the food, Pierneef à La Motte features a more relaxed format with an à la carte menu treating guests to comfort food and hearty favourites with a modern interpretation. All while celebrating South Africa’s culinary heritage. Besides the sensational cuisine and culinary delights of Pierneef à La Motte, diners have the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful Franschhoek Valley, the quiet of the farm, and the stunning gardens and spacious environment in and around the restaurant.
The name Pierneef à La Motte was inspired by La Motte’s admiration of South African artist Jacob Hendrik Pierneef. Beyond the name, Pierneef’s adoration of South Africa’s landscape and his appreciation of the country’s diversity is reflected in the restaurant’s focus on heritage cuisine and how it embraces cultural influences, ingredients, and recipes.
- Location: La Motte, R45 Main Road, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 876 8000 | [email protected]
- Website: www.la-motte.com/pages/pierneef-a-la-motte
- Opening times: À la carte lunch: Friday – Sunday, from 12pm | Light refreshments served in the garden: Wednesday – Sunday, 9am – 5pm | Reservations are recommended
- Booking: Click here to make a booking or contact Pierneef à La Motte on 021 876 8000 or [email protected]
#6 The Werf
The Werf, located on the sought-after Boschendal Wine Estate, is not only one of the best Franschhoek restaurants, but a real fan-favourite among locals and travellers alike. Situated in the beautifully revamped original cellar of the Manor House, The Werf Restaurant is all about contemporary farm-to-table dining using only the best available, local, seasonal, and ethically sourced ingredients. The Werf offers a sharing plate menu, which features produce from the farm itself and vegetables and herbs from The Werf Food Garden. Diners can also choose to enjoy their small plate menu created by Executive Chef Allistaire Lawrence.
Paired with an exceptional wine list that not only champions Boschendal Wines, but a selection of the best natural and biodynamic wines in the Western Cape, it promises to be an unforgettable Cape Winelands dining experience. Besides dining at The Werf (which is an absolute must), Boschendal’s gourmet picnics are incredibly popular. Not to mention the surrounding winelands scenery is absolutely unbeatable.
- Location: Boschendal, R310, Pniel Road, Groot Drakenstein, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 870 4273 | 021 870 4274 | [email protected] | [email protected]
- Website: www.boschendal.com/eat-and-drink/werf-restaurant
- Opening times: Open for lunch, Monday – Sunday from 12pm – 5pm (Last orders by 4pm) |Bookings are essential
- Booking: Click here to book or to find out more information or contact The Werf on 021 870 4273, 021 870 4274 [email protected]
If you’re looking for an exciting and equally exceptional casual fine dining eatery, Protégé is one of the best Franschhoek restaurants. From the previous ‘Eat Out Chef of the Year’ and renowned chef-proprietor Scot Kirton, Protégé, as its name so aptly implies, creates a space for young talented chefs to perfect their culinary craft and skills. Situated at Le Quartier Français, Protégé is designed around the central show kitchen, with alfresco dining areas located at both ends to ensure a wonderful dining experience by all.
Headed by Chef Jess van Dyk, a great deal of focus is placed on working with local suppliers to keep the menu as fresh and seasonal as possible. At its core, Protégé is all about creating a space that locals can call home, while enjoying top-quality, seasonally driven comfort food at its finest.
- Location: 8 Huguenot Road, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 224 0801 | [email protected]
- Website: www.protegerestaurant.co.za
- Opening times: Monday – Sunday, 7am – 11am; 12pm – 9pm
- Bookings: Click here to book online (the fastest and simplest way to secure your reservation) | Walk-ins welcome (subject to availability)
#8 Rupert & Rothschild Restaurant
Situated in the Tasting Centre of the family-run Rupert & Rothschild Estate, the Rupert & Rothschild Restaurant offers diners the perfect Cape Winelands’ escape. Its tranquil and picturesque Franschhoek Wine Valley surroundings is perfectly complemented by spectacular views of the vineyards and the stunning Simonsberg mountain. This creates a lovely and relaxed atmosphere for diners to enjoy Chef Adrian Hadlow’s remarkable culinary creations.
Diners can expect unique and flavoursome dishes, using only the best local produce and time-honoured, ethical cooking techniques. The à la carte menu is a wonderful showcase of exciting flavour combinations and delicious dishes, ensuring there is something for everyone to enjoy. If you’re looking to savour some of Rupert & Rothschild’s exquisite wines and champagnes, their food and wine or food and champagne pairing experiences are an absolute treat.
Rupert & Rothschild Restaurant also offers an exclusive The Chef’s Table Experience. A memorable fine dining experience, The Chef’s Table menu features uniquely created dishes drawing inspiration from quality local produce in the surrounding area. Diners can expect exceptional attention to detail in every dish together with a recommended wine pairing to enhance the superb flavours.
- Location: Rupert & Rothschild Vignerons, Klapmuts Road, Simondium, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 874 1648 | [email protected]
- Website: www.rupert-rothschildvignerons.com/restaurant
- Opening times: Wednesday – Sunday, 12pm – 3pm (last booking at 2pm)
- Bookings: Click here to make a booking/reservation or contact Rupert & Rothschild Restaurant on 021 874 1648 or [email protected]
#9 MIKO at Mont Rochelle
The flagship restaurant at Mont Rochelle, MIKO boasts a prime location with spectacular 180-degree views over the Franschhoek valley, vineyards and mountains. With its coveted terrace, visitors have the option of dining alfresco all year round while admiring the beautiful wine valley surroundings. With regards to MIKO’s cuisine, it is best described as a taster of South African favourites. Each of their seasonal dishes tell a story, using the freshest local ingredients, which pair beautifully with their award-winning wine list.
For those looking to enjoy a more relaxed ambiance in an equally spectacular setting, the sister restaurant at Mont Rochelle, The Country Club, is perfect for you. Diners can expect hearty and fresh dishes all made with locally sourced ingredients. Their gourmet picnic for two, which includes delicious South African fare and exceptional Mont Rochelle wines, is an absolute must try.
- Location: Mont Rochelle, Dassenberg Road, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 876 2770 | [email protected]
- Website: www.virginlimitededition.com/en/mont-rochelle/dining
- Opening times: Breakfast: 7am – 10:30am (open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday for both hotel guests and day guests) | Snacks and light bites: 11am – 8:30pm (open every Friday and Saturday, last orders at 8:30pm) | Bar: Open for drinks throughout the day, closing at 10pm (open every Friday and Saturday, last orders at 9:30pm)
- Bookings: Click here to make a booking or contact 021 876 2770 or [email protected]
Located on Chamonix Wine Farm in a characterful heritage building on the edge of a forest, Arkeste offers a serene dining experience in the beautiful Franschhoek Wine Valley. Diners can expect an a la carte menu in a casual fine dining style, carefully curated and prepared by Chef Richard Carstens. Sit back, relax, and enjoy sensational classics and exciting new dishes, each showcasing seasonal and local ingredients. Perfectly paired with an exceptional wine list, featuring exquisite Chamonix wines and a curated selection from the Cape region, and a beautiful view.
Surrounded by a 40-seater treed deck, with floor-to-ceiling glass panes allowing the serene greenery to permeate, it will truly feel like you’ve escaped to a whole new world entirely.
- Location: Chamonix Restaurant, Uitkyk Street, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- Contact details: 021 876 8415 | [email protected]
- Opening times: Wednesday – Saturday: Lunch: 12pm – 2:30pm | Dinner: 6pm – 8pm | Sunday: 12pm – 3pm
- Booking: Click here to make a booking or contact 021 876 8415 or [email protected]